The University Health Center (UHC) at James Madison University (JMU) is accepting applications for a Primary Care Staff Physician to staff the Urgent Care section. The successful candidate will provide health care to JMU students by assessing and managing their acute health care problems in collaboration with the entire UHC staff. In addition, the successful candidate will provide supervision and education for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants who provide primary care for the JMU student population.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meets with patients in a timely manner and assesses and treats their medical complaints.
- Explains symptoms to patients incorporating appropriate education regarding prevention and treatment.
- Supervises and educates Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants on staff at the UHC.
- Serves as a resource to all staff regarding medical assessment and treatment with professionalism and empathy.
- Documents records appropriately in the patient's electronic medical record according to guidelines, in a timely manner with documentation completed on a daily basis.
- Participates in University Health Center committees as required or requested.
- MD or DO degree obtained from an accredited institution.
- Completed a residency program from an accredited program with a preference for Emergency Medicine, Family Practice or Pediatrics.
- Unrestricted license to practice medicine from any state in the United States. A Virginia license to practice medicine will be required prior to beginning work.
- Unrestricted license through the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency to prescribe controlled substances.
- Ability to perform minor surgical procedures to include suturing wounds, incision and drainage of abscesses, and assessing acute injuries in young adults.
- Experience in an Urgent Care or emergency department setting is preferred.
To apply go to our website and reference posting number F1136. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a 10-month position with full-time benefits.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.
Location/Region: Harrisonburg, VA (US - 22807)